We are always developing new ways to use our data to encourage users, build new features, and analyze how well existing features are working. We host our users’ ideas, opinions, photos, and dreams — that’s lots of data spread across lots of machines.
Sound fun? It is.
Here are some skills that will come in handy:
- Great programming skills and good knowledge of both dynamic and compiled languages (especially PHP and Java).
- Experience with Open Source data systems (especially the Hadoop ecosystem, Elasticsearch, Storm, and MySQL). Contributions to projects such as these are a plus, and future contributions are encouraged.
- Bring a Data Wrangler mindset to problems: run experiments, use statistics to evaluate results, and apply search ranking and machine learning algorithms.
- A strong understanding of distributed computing and system performance.
- Ability to take a project from idea to implementation, putting the minimal system needed into production, but with an eye on where we need to be in 5 years.
- Great troubleshooting skills.